**Every season, I post a set of goals that I set out to accomplish. I track my progress here on my blog. I like the challenge of setting goals – it helps me to accomplish so much more. This post features my Winter 14 goals**

diy blackout curtains

DIY Blackout Curtains

 

Since I had this past week off from work, I decided to not waste any time in getting started with my Winter 14 goals.  One that I felt was the most urgent to deal with (and something that I could complete in a day or two) was getting blackout curtains in our bedroom.  I did some price checking online first for already made ones, but found that ones of decent quality started around $20 a panel, meaning I’d have to spend $40 to get curtains that I may or may not like.  To save money and stick with the curtains we already like, I decided to DIY it instead.  Joann Fabrics was having a sale on blackout fabric, so I was able to get the four yards that I needed to do both curtains for only $16!  There was a lot of trial and error with the first curtain, but eventually I found that taking out all the seams, inserting the liner, and then restitching the seams worked best.  It took a lot of time – I watched a good twelve twenty minute episodes of Classic Doctor Who on Hulu while working on this.  But the effort was worth it.

The top left and bottom right corner pictures were taken about the same time of day, one before and one after lining (I opened the lined curtains so that you could see how much they block).  It’s making a huge difference!  It’s much darker when we sleep now, and on days when I don’t have to wake up at 5:30am, it makes sleeping in much more sound.  Looks like this year is off to a good start.

signature

Related Posts with Thumbnails

One Comment

  1. Posted January 10, 2014 at 10:47 am | Permalink

    You’ve done a great job! Nothing worse than the bright sun waking you up at the weekend..

    Mel