This outfit is a sort of make believe outfit, because I actually never left the house the whole day.  I just put on the shoes for the pictures; the rest of the time I was wearing cozy socks and slippers.  But I loved how the outfit came together, how comfy and chic it made me feel, so I decided to take pictures anyway.

I mentioned that part of my 11 in 2011 project is to make sure that I don’t put off doctor’s appointments.  Last week I finally went to my primary care physician and got an antibiotic prescription for my acne.  My doctor warned me that it would make my skin flare up before it got better.  I didn’t take any other outfit photos last week because it was peeling horribly.  This was the first day that it wasn’t painfully red and blotchy, so I decided to get pictures in.  I’m still so glad I finally went to the doctor – it feels good to know that I’m actually doing something about my skin problems now instead of constantly complaining about them.

I came to a realization this weekend: I am a Maker.  I love to make things; I love the process of creating something from a lot of little pieces and making something amazing out of them.  Whether it’s a skein of yarn, random articles of clothing, some flour, sugar and butter.  I just love to create stuff.

There’s something so soothing about the process to me.  I was experiencing some anxiety this weekend – no real reason, I just sometimes get that way.  I started playing around with my jewelry and ended up creating the necklace above out of a couple pieces I had that I didn’t wear often.  Then I baked a batch of cookies.  And all that anxiety disappeared.  Creating is a beautiful thing.

Cardigan: Boden
Tank: Nordstrom Rack
Jeans: Gap Curvy
Shoes: Dansko Sally
Scarf: Beach Sarong (garage sale)
Necklace: DIY (originally from Etsy)

Quote: Marilyn Monroe

Related Posts with Thumbnails

7 Comments

1. Posted January 17, 2011 at 9:40 am | Permalink

The outfit is a beautiful blend of colors and patterns. It coheres nicely.

I’m glad you’ve found a cure for anxiety. I suffer from it regularly and always search for relief. Immersing oneself in an activity is good therapy. And I’m not surprised to hear you like making things — your posts about Etsy creations are always filled with admiration.
    Shybiker´s last blog post ..The Golden Globes

2. Posted January 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I’m glad you’re getting help for your skin! I’ve been embarrassed by my skin for oh, ten years or so, but haven’t tried a dermatologist yet. Let us know how this goes for you, please!

Ah, the joy of Making! My Maker side is at odds with my Stuff-Purger side. Baking is a great compromise.
    Rebekah´s last blog post ..Fancy Underwear Week

3. Posted January 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

I need to be better about doctor appointments too. There are a few I’m dreading.

acne sucks. I remember lying in bed with my face throbbing with pain from the acne. It is SO painful and awful. I’d try makeup, but that would irritate it – but I wouldn’t go out in public without the makeup. it was a vicious cycle – I tried just about every acne prescription out there. I’m sorry you have to deal with this – I hope you find whatever works well for you!

you’re beautiful and just keep smiling. thank you for sharing something very personal.
    Julia (Polka Dot Biker Shorts)´s last blog post ..Mixing Black with Brown

4. Jaclyn Reynolds
    Posted January 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Very cute and I agree, getting creative and lost in your passion is a great anxiety fighter.

5. Posted January 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

My urge to Make has recently flared up, hardcore. I constantly want to create, bake, cook, anything that brings something from point A (chaos) to point B (order). It’s my way to avoid anxiety, too.

6. Phoebe
    Posted January 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Hi Diana, Congrats on taking action on your skin flare up. I have an antibiotic perscription for rosacea and need to more consistent with using it. Sometimes I find it really hard to see pictures of myself with ruddy forehead and nose. When I try to use coverup it irritates my skin further.
    Best wishes, Phoebe

7. April
    Posted January 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

I love everything about this post. Because I feel the same way too.