This past winter, I acquired my first pairs of boots as an adult. It’s crazy, I know, but living in Florida my whole life, I just never had any.  As I started to acquire more boots, I began to realize that I needed a way to keep them in shape and upright when stored in my closet.  I looked up boot shapers on several websites, but I was disappointed with how expensive they were, and I was concerned that they were likely to eventually fall apart and end up in a landfill.  Then, I read somewhere about using wine bottles as boot shapers, so I saved up a few, and tried it out.  It works like a charm!  It’s works best with thinner, smaller wine bottles, which are what I usually buy anyhow.  The bottles are easy to take out when you wear the boots, and easy to put back in when you’re done.  Plus, I think it looks pretty cool.  Since wine bottles are glass, they’ll hold together for a long time, and if I feel that I don’t want to use them anymore, I can just recycle them.

One word of caution though: make sure that the wine bottle isn’t wider than your boot shaft, or it may stretch out your boots.  I have found this to be an issue with the ankles of some of my slimmer boots.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

12 Comments

1. Posted June 4, 2010 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Wow! An idea not only clever, but cute! Love it.

Thanks for spreading a good environmental message.
    .-= Shybiker´s last blog ..Zapp’s Potato Chips =-.

2. Posted June 4, 2010 at 9:59 am | Permalink

What a clever idea! I shall definitely be doing this when I move into my new place! I would imagine for boots that are prone to falling over you could put sand in the bottles to weight them down.
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Semi-Daily eBay | Sam Edelman Balenciaga Wedges =-.

3. Posted June 4, 2010 at 10:05 am | Permalink

As with many green/DIY ideas out there, this one is so clever that I wish I’d thought of it sooner! I will definitely be trying this out. I’ve wanted to take better care of my boots anyway, but have been reluctant to shell out money for boot stays. And we always have wine on hand … :-)
    .-= Kristin´s last blog ..Plumage – Sly Chartreuse =-.

4. Posted June 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

I love this idea! What a great repurpose of old wine bottles!
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..Photography Lesson. =-.

5. Posted June 4, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Brilliant! I love this!
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..Daily Outfit – Jen – 6/3/10 =-.

6. Posted June 4, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Not that I drink or anything, but I will definitely keep this idea in mind.

By the way, LOVE THE BLUE BOOTS.

7. Erendira
    Posted June 4, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

I love all the boots and the idea. Awesome!

8. Posted June 4, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

I’ve seen folks use hefty magazines as boot shapers. They aren’t as artistic-looking, nor do they stand on their own while you wear your boots, but they are recyclable and they don’t stretch the boot.

I only own one pair of boots and I am still using the pieces of foam that came with them.

9. Posted June 5, 2010 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Mmmmm, Yellow Tail wine. :-)
    .-= KDot´s last blog ..Long Monkey Arms =-.

10. Posted June 21, 2010 at 7:22 am | Permalink

well i know there are plenty of ideas out there for re-using wine bottles but this one i have never heard before so well original and find another reason to recycle bottles. one for the fashion concerned out there
    .-= house clearance´s last blog ..House Clearance Kielder – Cluttered House Clearance Northumberland =-.

11. Posted December 19, 2012 at 6:02 am | Permalink

Fab idea! I was just online shopping for boot shapers & the cost of 2 bottles of wine works about to about a pair of them. Time to empty out my recycling bin!!

12. Posted September 4, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Hi Diana,

Mother Nature Network is compiling a list of innovative ways to reuse wine bottles, including your example here as boot shapers. May we use your photo for this purpose?

We would be happy to link back to this blog entry, your Flickr photostream, or somewhere else if you prefer.

Thank you for your assistance and let me know if I can answer any questions.